Monday, January 28, 2008

More than 113!

Yeah...it's true! There were certainly more than 113 people at Badger Weir around lunchtime yesterday! Last year I had the idea of not running a meeting as usual at the hall this past Aussie Day weekend, but going to Badger Weir for a picnic to allow the people to get to know me and Pam more, and for us to get to know the people. Not a new idea, but a good one considering I had been away all week in New Zealand.

Well, being the person in charge I knew I had to be at Badger Weir early to get some good tables for the picnic. I thought 10:30 am would be plenty early enough (I'd advertised 11:30 for the people to arrive). Well...it would have been, if there wasn't a Greek festival well and truly pumping at Badger Weir when I arrived! There were four coaches, as well as a packed car park, and lots of Greek dancing and loud music! Now, I'm up for a party, but when you have a group of people coming for a barbecue lunch, this wasn't what I was expecting! And I'd rang Parks Vic to find out about bookings too!

Needless to say, I didn't know whether to cry or laugh! I managed to get one table with six concrete stools! How do we fit 20 people around this one table? Especially when many of the people will need a seat to sit on! And all the barbecues were in use, and there were no car parks left!

I have the most wonderful group of people at Healesville! Especially one couple - Gordon and Elaine - who happen to live just around the corner from the Weir. We made a quick change of plans, and went to their place for our barbecue lunch! I need to buy them a big bunch of flowers for Sunday! The day was saved!

Want some exciting news? There were FIVE people who attend the barbecue who are not part of Sunday services! They had been invited by Corps folk! There were some other family visitors too! So...do things just a little different and we allowed for different people to connect with our faith community. Perhaps they were just coming to check out the new bloke!

So, apart from me finishing the day with a very painful headache (literally), all went well! Hopefully the people will be laughing about it next Sunday!

I'm moving house tomorrow, so need to get back to packing, but there's just a little insight into my second Sunday at Healesville.

Oh - I was driving home from Toolangi tonight and I saw and emu in a paddock! How cool - Aussie wildlife that you don't see every day in the wild!

Till next time, celebrate with all those you come across!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grazer. Great reading. I look forward hearing how your 113 go.

B.