Monday, January 14, 2008

It starts

This is so going to be different to anything I have done before!!!

Today I put on the white shirt and epaulets for the first time this year and drove out to Healesville. As I drove into town I started to feel a bit sick in the stomach - like I really wanted to just turn around and hide away at home! However, I did make it to the Corps building and was ok after that!

A bit of a bitsy day today. Changed signatures on the bank account, went to my new house and got a key, visited our Care & Wear shop, had lunch at Healesville Harvest, then spent lots of time chatting with Pam back at the hall.

A couple of funny things happened though! One was when I was walking from the hall to the main street, and guy in a van asked me "Would you like a home theatre system in your house, I have an extra one from a job I was doing"!!!!!! So...Healesville quarters now has a massive home theatre system...no, not really - I said "no thanks". Was very funny though, and did seem a bit dodge.

Only made one mistake today that I know of! I collected the mail, and there was a card for the Warcry delivery etc. So, I went into the post office and got the publications. Then, Pam and I were reading the brief in the office, and Pam got to the part that tells us that one of the Corps people collects the Warcry's from the post office, and they know just to give him them, then he stamps them and brings them on Sunday. So...Pam says I'd better give him a call! Not that much later the phone rings in the office and I answer it (another first!). It was the guy asking me whether I collected the publications!!! So, this afternoon I went for a drive to his house to drop them off. Won't be collecting them again anytime soon!

Tonight I went with a friend to one of the cafes in town - which is open until 10pm! YAY! We were told that we could take and pastries or bread from the shelves, as they throw them out at the end of the day. My brain started ticking...! So, I introduced myself and will try and build on this relationship to see whether we can use the bread and pastries as some point in the future. Sometimes they have heaps of garbage bags full. Already got one idea to keep in mind for down the track. I got a fruit sourdough so might have a piece for breakfast and write what it was like.

So, off to Beechworth Bakery tomorrow for the ladies coffee morning which happens every week! Need to get some sleep now after a first day that wasn't as bad as I thought it might have been.

No comments: