Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dinner at Darron's

Tonight I went to Dinner at Darron's - a weekly meal for people in the community. It's run by HICCI (that's Healesville Interchurch Community Care Incorporated which we as a Corps are part of).

I've been asked by the President of HICCI whether I can go to the meal each week as the "resident minister" to be there if people want to chat. Should be an interesting experience getting to know the community.

Tonight, Sue who attends the meal, told me a joke. "Why did the blonde have a sore belly-button?" All I can say is that dinner will be interesting...Don't know the answer...go to the end of this post!

A comment by one of the HICCI staff struck me tonight.
There are many places to get a latte here in Healesville, but no where to buy pyjamas or underwear.
This highlights the two different cultures here in town. There are lots of places for tourists, but if you are an elderly lady who needs new underwear, you are stuck! Public transport is lacking, and apart from Coles, you have to go into Chirnside Park to go to KMart/Target.

Tomorrow is a significant day - for two reasons. The government formally says "Sorry", and it's my grandmother's funeral. Two important events. I met with one of my neighbours last week, Auntie Dot Peters, who is an Aboriginal Elder. It was a privilege to chat with Auntie Dot, and I look forward to getting to know some of her story. There are others from the Aboriginal communtiy that I look forward to meeting soon.

Here are some praise and prayer points:

Praise:
- Lots of good connections in town
- Support from Corps members
- Support from Lieut Colonel Pam Trigg

Prayer
- To make connections & friendships with people my own age in town (can be a bit isolating)
- To be able to know what is important to do, and not be overwhelmed
- For a team to work with me in ministry here in Healesville. There are so many opportunities and possibilities, but not the people to do the work!
- For my dad and his sisters with Grandma's funeral tomorrow.

Oh - that joke answer? "Because her boyfriend was blonde too". (Don't think about this too much - I didn't say it was a good or appropriate joke!)

No comments: