Saturday, September 27, 2008

Community

Been doing some thinking surrounding community...spurred on by the installation of a new fence at my house.

It's great being able to walk down the street and people say hello to you. Just this morning I walked down Nicholson St (aka Maroondah Hwy), and people stopped to say hello.

But then, as I retreat to my house, community 'stops'. As a new fence gets installed, its higher than the previous fence. Now, I've got no problem with that, but it just made me think about how we separate ourselves from our neighbours. I remember living in Brisbane with a very low cyclone mesh fence...yet now I live in a house surrounded by very high wooden fences. Any chance of saying hi to the neighbours and having the 'over the fence' chat gets reduced as we block each other out of our yards and lives. I don't even know one of my neighbours...which is not a good thing and I'm not proud of that. But I guess we live separate lives, and our paths don't seem to cross. But it's sad.

Is it any wonder that people are feeling more isolated, and community breaks down?

Just a thought!

No comments: