Friday, April 25, 2008

ANZAC Day in Healesville

Today I participated in the Healesvile RSL ANZAC Day service - another first experience for me! I was invited to say the Lord's Prayer, and then lead the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers".

There were over 600 people in attendance. The Healesville Salvos marched down the main street, to the cheers of onlookers. We laid a wreath - to cheers of the crowd. Actually, we got two applauds. I found this quite interesting. Not too sure why, whether its because we are well loved in town, or because of our efforts during war time, or just 'cause!

It is so good to be part of a local community like Healesville. I went to pay for our wreath at the nursery on Wednesday, and made a comment about bulbs still being available for the hall garden. The nursery man said he had something that might help us out...and I walked out of the nursery with 30 punnets of seedlings - free! I spent several hours planting them out in our garden (recently cleaned up at our working bee!). I have a blister on my hand to prove my hours of toiling! If they all survive, we will have a bit of a cottage garden, but hey - it was free!

No comments: