Wednesday, April 9, 2008

National Youth Week

This week is National Youth Week. The celebration aims to encourage young people to share ideas, attend live events, have their voices heard, showcase their talents, celebrate their contribution to the community, take part in competitions and have fun!

One of the events organised by the Shire of Yarra Ranges was a young leaders forum held tonight at Swinburne in Lilydale. The night included Tom O'Connor, Victorian director of the Oaktree Foundation. Tom presented a great message to the young people in attendance, encouraging them to find out "what turns them on", get a vision of how the world can be changed, and then do something about it! I felt encouraged and fired up after hearing Tom speak!

There were musical artists A.R.A.B (Anti-Racism Action Band) who presented beat boxing, hip hop, and rapping faster then I have ever heard before! The night also featured Pat & Brendon (who played a piano accordion!), these guys were the winners of the south-east battle of the bands. They weren't bad either.

It was great to be part of a night like this. I got to make some new connections -met our local councillor and the head of the shire's youth services).

One thing that has stuck me this week is the difference between church based youth work, and community based youth work. Some of the principles are the same, but the application can be very different! I think I want to do more study in community social work to enable me to be equipped better. Speaking of study, I have an assignment to do! I'd better stop procrastinating!

No comments: